We got through Phase 1. More work to be done, but it is now a functional space. Woohoo!
Here is the "before." I'd already cleared out most of our coats and some of the junk that was living in there. But it was still god-awful.
Step 1: Paint. We went with BM's Hale Navy, which I'd also used on the fireplace wall.
My handsomest helper.
Phase 2: Bill installed boards for the hooks. A higher level for the adults and a lower one for the kiddos. Then Mom and I gave them a coat of Swiss Coffee that I had on hand. And Bill built a shelf for the top to add some much needed storage.
Phase 3: Install the hooks, add some baskets, and throw in a bench.
Mom donated this bench, which she wasn't using. It is too small for the space, but it works for now. We plan to build in a bench, but that is Phase 2. (Then I can repurpose the bench as a cute window seat in Liv's room; just need to make a pad for the top.)
You'll also note that I started painting the walls outside the closet in BM's Coventry Gray (leftover from Ben's room). But then Mom and I were brainstorming that I should paint the closet trim white and use the same Navy throughout the laundry/mudroom. Phase 2 as well.
Here you can see the trim that Mom picked out and Bill installed to pretty it up.
You'll also notice that I used white hooks on the side for the kids' backpacks. But the different hooks are bugging me. So those will come down and be replaced with matching hooks. I bought them out at HD, so I have to wait until they replenish their supplies.
Right now we are just kicking off our shoes on the floor, but when the bench is built out, it will have storage or baskets below for shoe storage.